A game of forgotten words and their lost definitions.
How to play:
- Choose a list of 5 archaic words from the list below and write them on a board for all the guests to see.
- Pass a pad of paper and pencil to each guest.
- Inform them that they must create a short story that incorporates all the archaic words written on the board.
- Explain that the story should illustrate clearly what they think each of the words means or should mean.
- Set a timer for 10 minutes.
- At the end of 10 minutes, stop them and have them hand in their stories.
- Read the actual definitions to the archaic words and then read the stories aloud.
- Optional: Award a prize to the person who gave the closest or most convincing uses of the words.
The Halloween Archaics List:
These words were chosen from The Word Museum : The Most Remarkable English Words Ever Forgotten by Jeffrey Kacirk.
- alectromantia : Divination by a cock. A circle is drawn and the letters of the alphabet are placed around it. A grain of corn is placed on each letter. A cock is placed in the middle of the circle. The order of the letters the cock eats the grain from will prognosticate the answer to the question.
- barguest : A white ghost with saucer eyes.
- batterfang : To beat or beclaw.
- blutterbunged : Confounded or overcome with surprise
- brizzle : To singe or burn slightly.
- cabobble : To mystify, puzzle or confuse.
- chimble : To gnaw like a mouse or rat.
- cynanthrope : A victem of rabies caused by dog bite. A person who believes or acts as if they were a dog.
- dudman : A scarecrow made of old garments.
- eyebite, eyebiter, eyebitten : To bewitch with the evil eye. The eyebitten could be rhymed to death by the eyebiter.
- fratchy : Quarrelsome.
- gapesnest : A strange sight fit only to be stared at.
- geloscopy : Divination by means of laughter.
- gramarye : Magic.
- grimgribber : A lawyer or the technical jargon of such.
- gyromancy : Divination by spinning in a circle.
- haggersnash : A spiteful person.
- hylden : A foul creature such as a hangman or butcher.
- jimjams : The creeps.
- leachcraft : The art of medicine.
- loupgarou : A werewolf.
- mirknight : Midnight.
- moanworthy : Sad.
- monsterful : Wonderful, extraordinary.
- moonblink : Temporary blindness caused by sleeping under the moon.
- morthead : A jackolantern made from a turnip.
- myomancy : Divination through mice.
- noctuary : An account of what passes in the night, as opposed to a diary which is a record of events of the day.
- ogerhunch : Any frightful creature, but especially a bat.
- ornithoscopy : Divination by means of watching the birds.
- outcumlins : Strangers.
- peccable : Liable to sin and error as opposed to impeccable.
- pixilated : Led astray, as if by pixies; confused, bewildered or intoxicated.
- planetruler : An astrologer.
- pogonophobia : The fear of birds.
- smittlish : Infectious, contagious.
- soulcase : The body.
- stelliscript : That which is written in the stars.
- tarantismus : A disease that causes mad dancing from the bite of the tarantula.
- thrunched : Very angry.
- tyromancy : Divination through the coagulation of cheese.
- ugsum, ugsumness : Terrible, terribleness.
- weatherspy : A wizard.
- wolfshead : An outlaw.
- yirdswine : A mysterious and dreaded animal thought to burrow into graveyards and live upon the corpses.
No feedback yet
|« Murder! : a classic Halloween party game||Trick or Treat - Personal / House Costume Contest »|